Self Build Wales is designed to help Welsh builders as well as Welsh homeowners.
How the scheme helps Welsh builders
targeted investment from the scheme.
- Access to jobs with pre-agreed designs and planning permission in place
- Government funding secured upfront with direct payments made to you
- Rewards local accredited builders with local opportunities
- Develop your portfolio in self-build and custom-build projects
- Support structure for early disputes resolution (should they arise)
Self Build Wales provides a great opportunity for Welsh builders to get involved in a new and innovative scheme designed to help more people in Wales build their own home. The scheme aims to remove the barriers and uncertainty around self-builds and custom-builds enabling Welsh builders to focus on what they do best, building quality homes in Wales.
The Self Build Wales scheme is as follows:
- Local authorities and housing associations provide available plots of land to the Self Build Wales scheme.
- Plots have planning permission in place already and a pre-agreed design guide.
- Applicants search for sites/plots via the website and can apply online for up to 5 plots a time.
- Applications are reviewed and a plot is awarded if successful.
- Builder is agreed, and design and costs are finalised with support from Self Build Wales.
- A self-build development loan is provided covering up to 100% of the build costs (25% deposit on plot cost required).
- Self-build project begins with agreed payment milestones signed off by the Self Build Wales team and appointed building control.
- Final payment provided upon completion, homeowner pays off Self Build Wales loan through sale of property/mortgage raised.
One of the advantages of the Self Build Wales scheme is that all builders are paid directly by the Self Build Wales team under the terms of the applicant's loan agreement. Once the work has been finalised, payment will be paid at agreed milestones depending on when the related work has been completed and signed off by the Self Build Wales team and appointed building control.
To be eligible for the scheme you must be a TrustMark registered builder.
To assist self-build and custom-build projects, a design guide has been developed with a range of potential designs to help the applicant make fundamental design decisions before the build. Designs range in size and cost from 2 bedrooms up to 5 bedrooms. A link to the design guide can be found on an individual plot passport page.
Please note such designs are only starting points and designs can be adapted to suit specific occupants and sites. However, doing so may affect the overall building costs.