A detailed breakdown of how the Self Build Wales scheme works
Use our website to search for sites, find your plots, choose up to 5 and apply online.
Your application is reviewed and if successful a plot is awarded.
We work with you to find a builder, confirm your designs and costs, and agree finance.
Funding is awarded, building is completed, self-build loan is repaid and you move in!
Step 1 - Search / find / apply online
- Search for a site via the Find a plot page
- Search by place or postcode.
- Plots are situated in sites shown via the map view or list view.
- All sites follow a traffic light system for availability:
- Red status = Under consideration
- Amber status = In planning
- Green status = Open for application (only sites that have green status will have plots you can apply for)
- Click through to a site page to see the site map and plots (if available)
- View a plot passport page to see all information regarding a plot including plot costs, max no of bedrooms, design guide and any priorities set by local authorities or housing association (plot provider).
- Apply for up to five plots a time from a site, confirm your designs and plot priority, and complete the online application form.
- Sites with Green status (Open for application) will be only live for a period of around six weeks.
- You can sign up for email notifications to keep up-to-date on when sites/plots become available - see 'Sign up for site notifications' below.
Step 2 - Application reviewed / plots awarded if successful
- Your submitted application is assessed and scored by the relevant plot provider based on priorities set for the area (outlined on plot passport page).
- If you are successful you will be awarded a single plot and a finance application pack will be sent to you from the Self Build Wales team. Please note any other plots you applied for will be invalid.
- If you are unsuccessful, you will be notified by the Self Build Wales team and you will be free to reapply for further plots.
Step 3 - Find a builder / Confirm design and costs / Agree finance
- You provide full details of your chosen TrustMark registered builder (unless otherwise specified).
- You select preferred building design, obtain a quote from your chosen contractor and confirm initial outline project costs. There is a Register of Independent Advisors (Builders Merchants) who are fully familiar with the scheme and can provide advice on costings/materials etc.
- You provide proof/source of funds of plot deposit (25% of plot cost)
- You seek independent financial advice to ensure you have the means (existing equity or mortgage) to repay the self-build development loan for the plot purchase and associated build costs (evidence required).
- Your mortgage advisor submits an application on your behalf to Self Build Wales on team who will assess your information and, if approved, issue you with a formal offer letter confirming that the loan has been agreed and listing any offer conditions.
Step 4 - Funding provided / building is completed / you move in!
- Project costings including insurances and warranties are finalised.
- Any pre-contract conditions are completed.
- Project timetable and funding schedule with builders(s) and applicant(s) is agreed.
- Plot purchase is completed and build commences
- The Self Build Wales team monitor the progress of the build, in conjunction with appointed building control, ensuring each pre-agreed stage is completed to the required standards – funds will be released direct to your builder upon completion of each stage to ensure the build runs smoothly and without delay.
- Building regulation sign off and structural warranty certificate obtained.
- Mortgage/sale of existing property is completed and self-build development loan is repaid.
- You move in!
The Self Build Wales website allows for a range of email notifications to be set up to tell you about site activity.
When finding a plot all sites follow a traffic light system for availability:
This means that the site has been identified by the ‘plot provider’ (Local Authority or Housing Association) as potentially suitable for development, however, is subject to initial viability checks.
You can submit an expression of interest in these plots through the site page and we will contact you when they change status.
This means that the site is undergoing enabling works to ensure it is in a fit state of readiness for development and / or awaiting planning consent.
You can submit an expression of interest in these plots through the site page and we will contact you when they are open for applications.
|Green||Open for applications||
These sites are ready for development and have full plot passports and outline planning consent in place.
Its plots are available for applications (but only for a limited time – normally around six weeks).
Site is no longer available for applications
Expression of interests (you've found a site but no plots available yet)
You may find a site you are interested in, but the plots are not open for applications yet.
To help with this, you can sign up for email notifications for the following scenarios
- You've found a site you like but it is under consideration (red status)
- You've found a site you like but it is in the planning stage only (amber status)
In these scenarios, you can register an expression of interest on the individual site page. This means we'll send you an email notification to tell you when:
- sites under consideration (red status) have moved to in planning (amber status).
- sites in planning (amber status) have become open to applications (green status)
Registration of interest (you're unable to find a site in your area)
If you can't find any sites in your local area don't worry you can complete a registration of interest to sign up for a site notifications.
This means we'll send you an email notification when a site appears in your defined local area(s) so you can visit the site to know more.
Please note Self Build Wales is unable to control any of its email notifications being blocked or treated as junk mail by email providers (Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo Mail, etc). We strongly recommend checking your junk folders if you are expecting any notifications from Self Build Wales and marking any received correspondence as trustworthy.